[mythtv-users] Re: mythtv backend on a headless fileserver

KianTeck chua_kianteck at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Mar 10 06:16:41 UTC 2005

Jarod Wilson wrote:

>On Wednesday 09 March 2005 19:49, James Armstrong wrote:

>>>[...]
>>>>

>>>That was my suggestion for a no-X, no-Qt setup util.
>>>

>>I run the setup program on my headless backend all the time. I just ssh
>>into it from my frontend and run setup. The setup program is displayed
>>on the frontend using X but is actually run from the backend and
>>modifies the backend's settings.
>>

>I know, I do the same. The question was why X and Qt even have to be on the
>backend though.

When you run an X application remotely, it is the GUI output that gets
displayed at the local machine.  In other words, if you ssh into the
backend from a frontend (or any *nix box) and run mythsetup, mythsetup
runs on the backend (ie it's using the backend's CPU cycles), but the
output is displayed on the frontend.

Hope this explains why you'll need X and Qt on the backend.

>>If you have a headless backend then
>>you must have a frontend running on X, unless it is on OSX then I don't
>>know.
>>

>Run X11 on the Mac and do the exact same thing.

Just my 2 cents worth.