[mythtv-users] Distro of choice?

John Williams williamsbyron at gmail.com
Wed Mar 9 20:56:10 UTC 2005

Alright,
After all the Gentoo love around here, I decided a few days ago to try
gentoo. I've got an old HP celeron 550 and thought if it can optimize
maybe I cam make something useful out of this box. Well after getting
the first install up and booting, I was dead in the water because it
wasn't recognizing my Network card (and heck if I know what that built
in thing is). So then I decided to go with a level (some name like
that) 3 install because it was faster and was supposed to be more like
the live CD. Well, that didn't help becaus enow it is acsking what
kernel modules to load including network card driver. All that to say
I'm a relative newbee with Linux, but really want to learn more. I
know I need more info about my hardware. Is there a hardware
identification app out there that will tell you what you have in
english? Something I could use to set up my system.

OK so it's OT, but point in the right direction and I'll ask there.
I'm stoked about the idea, but it's not gogin so well for me.

BTW, I do like emerge.

Thanks,
John Williams