[mythtv-users] USB IR Receiver

Tu Holmes tu_holmes at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 9 17:47:22 UTC 2005

Well, I've held off on this, but I'll give my $.02
worth I guess.

If you have a USB receiver which you really love, then
the rest of this post is moot, so please feel free to
delete it.
For me though, it was very hard getting a USB receiver
to work and trying to use Jarod's Guide.

*Sidebar to give props where It needs to be given,
Jarod's guide probably saved me DAYS (if not weeks) of
messing around with other stuff, just to get anything
going at all... The guide is a God-send*

To the point though, what I would recommend is getting
all the way to that point, getting a streamzap remote
(thinkgeek.com) and doing the following:

First make sure you have the source modules... there's
a .src rpm from Axel's site...

Install the streamzap remote receiver.

Then do this:

rpm -e kernel-source (In case you found the complete
source somewhere else like I did, and apparently don't
need)

cd /usr/src
ln -s /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build linux-`uname -r`

Now you can compile some modules!

Follow the guide here:

http://www.grangenet.net/~greg/streamzap.html

>From the guide I would recommend downloading the tar
file and the patch and following the directions from
there... I didn't use the CVS. The CVS may have the
streamzap remote built in already, making the patch
unnecessary, but I know this worked, so I skipped CVS.

After you've ran the make install part (The End).

add these 2 lines to your /etc/modprobe.conf

# lirc_streamzapusb module
alias char-major-61 lirc_streamzapusb

Now, after I loaded it, it created a /dev/lirc0, but
no /dev/lirc, so I did the ln -s /dev/lirc0 /dev/lirc

After that, starting up the software from
/usr/local/sbin/lircd -n worked like a champ.

You can now start up /usr/local/bin/irw, and test the
remote that comes with the entire setup.

Just start lircd from the S99local script

/usr/local/sbin/lircd -n &

I'm still working out my lircrc, but it's functional
for the most part (If you want a copy, email me off
list, I'll send it to you)

Oh, and credit for putting me on to this goes to Kevin
Kuphal... who is also on this list. Thanks much.

This is by far and away the easiest remote and
receiver to deal with (for me at least).

Of course, there's lots of people around who may
disagree I'm sure, but I didn't want to fight it too
hard, and this became an easy solution.

The Receiver cable is also very long, but the receiver
itself is pretty small.

If I had one "bad" thing to say about it, it would be
that the remote is kinda' light, but for me, it's a
non-issue.

-Tu