[mythtv-users] Plextor PX-TV402U-NA

Nathan Lutchansky lutchann-mythtvusers at litech.org
Wed Mar 9 16:33:38 UTC 2005

On Wed, Mar 09, 2005 at 09:23:53AM +0000, David wrote:
> One key question - is the device's low-level hardware specification
> (needed for writing the driver) available to others who might want to
> take up the reigns should you, Nathan, move on. I assume so as a driver
> is often an expression of the hardware spec in code and since this is a
> GPL driver...

Driver development is funded by WIS Technologies, who makes the encoder
ASIC in the ConvertX, and who has every intention of keeping the driver
current.

However, the reference documentation is only available under the standard
WIS developer agreement.  This is primarily because the documentation
focuses strongly on hardware design and internal architecture, which is
important for ODMs developing hardware around the encoder, and which WIS
considers to be confidential information.  Similar restrictions are placed
on documentation for supporting components such as the Sony TV tuners.

> Also can I ask you to fill in some relevant bits at the wiki:
>  http://www.mythtv.info/moin.cgi/PlextorPX_2dTV402U

I'll see what I can do.  -Nathan