[mythtv-users] How I got great quality TV-out on my nVidia MX4000

Stephen Williams stephen.gw at gmail.com
Wed Mar 9 13:17:05 UTC 2005

> Stephen Williams wrote:
> > Of course, the way to get 'optimal' TV-out from your Nvidia (or other)
> > card is not to use it's TV-out facilities at all and build a VGA ->
> > SCART converter for SDTVs (see http://www.sput.nl/hardware/tv-x.html
> > for example). This is only true of home-built converters, commercial
> > converters perform scan conversion which lowers the image quality.
>
> Anyone knows, if this little hardware can be bought ready-to-use (built)
> anywhere? Maybe even in Germany?

I had a look around at the time I was first comptemplating this route
but wasn't able to find any equivalent system for sale commercially.
The reason being that there is a possibility (well, a theoretical one
anyway) that you can damage your TV through use of out-of-spec
modelines, therefore noboddy sells these commercially.

I find that my TV simply won't lock onto the sync signals if you send
an out-of-spec signal. You just end up looking at colourful garbage if
you're modeline is wrong (or when you're not in X, i.e. booting). I've
yet to hear of any cases where TVs have been damaged in this way.

Steve