[mythtv-users] Sound card for MythTV box?

Kevin Kuphal kuphal at dls.net
Tue Mar 8 17:38:09 UTC 2005

Magnus Nordlander wrote:

> Hi
>
> My MythTV box for some reason the sound card (integrated ATI IXP,
> which has been nothing but trouble) stopped working today. Not having
> time to return the mobo for a repair, I decided that I need a new
> audio card.
>
> The first card I looked at was the Sound Blaster Live! 24-bit. Then I
> heard that it was seriously crappy under Linux, and that it doesn't
> have a hardware mixer.
>
> The second card I've looked at is the Creative SB Audigy 2 Value. Is
> that card any good? Is it even supported under Linux? I only found the
> SB Audigy 2 ZS value in the ALSA database. Is this the same card as
> that one?`
>
> Any other recommendations are welcome, but keep the pricetag under $50
> or so.

I just built a frontend and I used this card.  Full 5.1, passthrough
AC3, works great with my DVDs, ISOs, and regular playback.  Easy to set
up with ALSA.  Bonus for me was that it included optical SPDIF outputs
which many cards did not.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=29-118-105&depa=0

I got the recommendation from someone else here on the list and it was
good as gold.

Kevin