[mythtv-users] Understanding PVR 350 output options

Maverick mavantix at gmail.com
Tue Mar 8 10:14:00 UTC 2005

> Personally, I just press the FFWD button on my remote. It usually
> does not affect the position of the video (because I'm already at the
> end of the buffer), but does make it visible again.
>
> I'll definitely be glad when someone figures out the fix for this
> problem, though. It's a WAF thing.

Put your bullshit protectors on, everything below is going to come out
of thin air, because I'm not a Myth programmer, but...

The reason I think this works is because myth reset's the overlay
whenever it shows something new on it, and it forces the repaint of
the area of the screen that is black (which is not the whole screen as
it might seam. In fact, if you play around with overscan/underscan in
myth, you'll see the black window, with the tv showing in the borders.

Anyway, another way to "fix" it is hit the menu key and bring up live
tv menu (program guide, enable browse mode, previous channel, etc).
and then exit it.

It seems that myth could just reset whatever it does when it brings up
OSD stuff when exiting the program guide. Then again, maybe it already
does that. I have no idea.

I agree this is a most annoying problem though :( On the two out of
two systems myth systems I've built this week, it does it every single
time I view the guide and exit without changing channel. It actually
seems to be worse in 0.17, in 0.16 it was just dim and not completely
black. On 0.16, you could undim/fix it the same way I described above.

-Kenneth