[mythtv-users] Remote mythweb

Peter Valdemar Morch swp5jhu02 at sneakemail.com
Tue Mar 8 09:33:38 UTC 2005

Bryan Halter bhalter-at-armyofpenguins.com |Lists| wrote:
> I'm running mythweb on a remote machine (not the masted backend), when I
> delete a program through mythweb it crashes the master backend.  Any
> suggestions?

Well, not a fix, but a workaround:
I also *access* mythweb from another machine, my main webserver, and I
have it setup so that webserver acts like a proxy and forwards all
requests to myth transparently. Apache is cool! I do:

# You'll need to load mod_rewrite. For me this is:
# LoadModule rewrite_module /usr/lib/apache2/modules/mod_rewrite.so
RewriteEngine On
RewriteRule ^/prot/myth/mythweb/(.*) http://myth/mythweb/$1 [P]

(The URL that I access *on my webserver* is e.g.
http://mainwebserver/prot/myth/mythweb/ and that just works now)

And then protect everything under /prot with a password:
         <Location /prot>
                 Deny from all
                 Allow from 192.168.0.0/255.255.255.0
                 AuthType Basic
                 AuthUserFile /etc/apache2/htpasswd.users
                 AuthName "protected directory"
                 Require valid-user
                 Satisfy any
         </Location>

Then as far as mythweb is concerned its running locally, while your
browser thinks its accessing the main webserver. When you're running
from your own LAN (192.168.0.X) you do it without password, but from
"the outside" - you'll be requested to enter your password. Maybe that
wasn't what you were looking for, but its worked flawlessly for me, and
I hope this helps you too!

Peter

--
Peter Valdemar Mørch