[mythtv-users] UK DVB-T card recommendations

Will egroups at klubbing.com
Mon Mar 7 22:17:43 UTC 2005

>      * Avermedia DVB-T (has a svideo in as well - not sure what that
>        can do).  Again around £60.

I'm using one of these. As long as your signal isn't too weak you won't have
any problems. We have a couple of freeview boxes which pick up one of the
multiplexes at 25% signal strength (it's run at a lower power than the rest
of the muxes). The DVB card doesn't pick this up unfortunately, but picks up
all the other channels without a problem. I'm in the Bilsdale transmitter
region. Check your local area at http://www.dtg.org.uk just to make sure you
don't have a similar situation with one of the muxes before buying this
card.

I have no experience with the svideo input, but it is listed in Myth setup,
so I would expect it could be used as a capture port. Another advantage is
that the AverTV 771 has an aerial through-socket, but the backpanel doesn't
have a cutout for it, so you'd need to mod it- but it saves having a
booster/splitter anyway. Also it is the only half height DVB card available
afaik, which means it'll fit in those smaller mATX cases (no half height
bracket supplied tho).

The remote apparently works in myth but is rubbish and tacky. I wouldn't
bother with it (it doesn't have a standard 'up down left right' selection of
arrows with 'select' in the middle, like most remotes either)

Setup wasn't too bad, but the mt352 frontend driver is included as standard
only with the 2.6.10 kernel and above. I am using a 2.4.26 kernel with the
dvb files from linuxtv.org and patches from
http://www.frokaschwei.net/avtv771/avermedia.html

Hope this helps,

Will