[mythtv-users] Re: Avoid Suse for mythtv (database issues)

Greg greg.d at cwgsy.net
Mon Mar 7 19:19:15 UTC 2005

> * Andy Long <andymyth at gmail.com> [2005-03-06 21:40]:
> >
> > Just curious... but what's with all the distro hating lately?

Hating is a bit strong, just people expressing their preference.....

> I don't think there's enough emotion involved to call it "hating."
> Some distros are just better than others for this application.
>
> > Someone started a thread earlier hating on FC3, and now this one on
> > SuSe.  Wouldn't it just be more appropriate to help people
> deal with
> > problems on certain distros as they come across them,
> instead of just
> > writing off a given distro a "unusable"?
>
> Someone was asking what distro is "the best" for mythtv.
> It's not that any distros are unusable, but before you help
> them deal with distro specific problems, you ought to help a
> new user who just wants to see mythtv run by recommending a
> distro that will work out of the box, and recommend against a
> distro that will eventually cause them to recompile the
> kernel or some unplanned extra work (unless of course they
> want that kind of project).
>
> > Seems to me that someone out there has gotten linux running
> on about
> > every flavor I can think of off hand.
>
> Sure, any distro will work, but they are not created equal.
> Some probably work as advertised simply by following the
> docs, while other distributions (like Suse) send the user on
> a bug hunt.  If the user wants a bug hunt, sure, recommend
> Suse.  Most first time mythtv users want a distro that will
> be easy to set up.

This has not been my experience with SUSE, before rpm's were available maybe
but certainly not now. On the whole of the 3 distro's I have tried for myth
purposes, SUSE has been the easiest, using the rpm's. YMMV.

> Your experienced mythtv users who are ready to get serious
> are going to care more about performance than ease of
> install.  Regardless, picking one arbitrarily is not the most
> efficient.
>
> > I understand it's frustrating when someone has troubles
> with a given
> > distro, but let's let people decide for themselves and stop the
> > whining.
>
> The folks asking for advice on which distribution to use
> obviously are not looking to learn the hard way.  The way I
> see it, if you point them down the right path to begin with,
> you won't have to hear as much "whining" later.

Exactly why I went with SUSE in the end, the whole package, LVM, everything
is easy to set up especially with the use of apt.

Greg