[mythtv-users] Low End MythTV

Andrew Lynch lynchaj at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 7 15:13:43 UTC 2005

--- Blammo <blammo.doh at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 6 Mar 2005 09:00:19 -0800 (PST), Andrew
> Lynch <lynchaj at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > There are links to other "low end" MythTV projects
> > included and a discussion of my project.  I'd like
> > include other peoples low end MythTV projects so
> reply
> > here or send me a message offline.
>
> I just built a low-end machine for a co-worker. By
> Low-end I mean what
> I would consider the be the bare minimum. Her own
> hardare, P2-300. I
> put 512M of my own ram into it, and we bought a
> PVR-250 the lowest end
> PCI Nvidia card we could get XvMC in. (Think it was
> an MX4000).
>
> I shut off everything animated I could come up with,
> reduced all
> "pretty" options to their lowest settings.
>
> Overall, the playback and recording are flawless at
> 720x480 MPEG2.
> Commercial flagging takes roughly 8 hours for 1 hr
> of video. Menus,
> etc, are slow to come up, drop off.
>
> She understands putting more horsepower in would go
> a long ways, but
> she's happy for the little bit she had to spend so
> far.

Hi Blammo,

Did you write up your bench notes from the install?
Do you have a webpage or are you considering putting
one up?

Definitely, adding XvMC capable video cards (NVidia)
and PVR-250 are going to make almost any PC perform as
a PVR.  They help tremendously with offloading CPU
intensive tasks.

If you do want to publish a page or just write one up
please send me a link.  I'd like to see how you did
it.

Thanks!

Andrew Lynch