[mythtv-users] reccomendations for wireless PCI nic

Andrew Gallatin gallatin at cs.duke.edu
Mon Mar 7 13:58:28 UTC 2005

Keith Olsen [detchbung at shaw.ca] wrote:
> Looking around I found a few resources for wirelss under Linux, but they seem to refer to cards that are no longer marketed....
>
> anybody have a reccomendations for something currently available with good support under linux?

I'm using a D-Link DWL-G510 PCI adapter via NDIS wrapper.  What a
mistake.  It "works", but not well.  Eg, it looses and regains
associativity with my AP every 5 seconds.  So the load spikes a bit
every 5 seconds, causing slightly jittery playback.  And packets get
dropped every 5 seconds, making ssh session pure misery.  I'm pretty
sure this is a windows driver bug or windows driver workaround for a
hardware bug.

The "get a wireless bridge" or "get a wireless gaming adaptor" is
probably the easiest thing to do.    That way, you know it will work
(assuming your on-board wired ethernet interface works), and you're
not introducing yet another kernel module dependent on an out-of-tree
project.

Drew