[mythtv-users] GOPchop and split_mpeg

Cory Papenfuss papenfuss at juneau.me.vt.edu
Mon Mar 7 11:51:50 UTC 2005

On Sun, 6 Mar 2005, Chris Birkinshaw wrote:

> I am trying to split a 6GB nuv file  recorded with my DVB card into chunks
> small enough to fit onto DVD, however am not having any luck. I tried
> "dvb-split_mpg filename.nuv 1000", but it just returned the usage
> information:
>
> "usage: split_mpg <filename> <size>"
>
> Which is what I typed!
>
> I then tried to use GOPchop, but when loading a nuv file recorded with my DVB
> card into Gopchop 1.13 I get the following errors:
>
> parse_MPEG2_program_stream @ 0(0.00%): expecting pack_start_code, got 0x00
> 0x00 0x01 0xE0
> parse_MPEG2_program_stream @ 102400(0.01%): garbage data seen from 0 to
> 102400.
> parse_MPEG2_program_stream @ 102400(0.01%): More than 100K of garbage --
> aborting parse.
> parse_MPEG2_program_stream @ 102400(0.01%): expecting MPEG_program_end_code
> marker (length 4)
> No Groups of Pictures found!
> Loaded /home/shared/mythtv/1009_20050303093000_20050303102000.nuv in 0
> seconds (1MB/s)

 	I've looked through these tools a bit, and from what I recall,
split_mpg produces broken results.  Also, I've found GOPchop to be a bit
broken, and apparently dead, but 'gopdit' seems to have replaced it as a
useful barebones util.

 	Is it possible you have a Transport Stream (TS) rather than a
Program Stream (PS)?  I don't know anything about DVB captures, but I know
a lot of MPEG utils won't deal with TS's.  Maybe 'replex' or 'dvb-mplex'
will demux it to a PS if that's the case.  You may even be able to remove
some streams you don't want from the capture to reduce the size.

-Cory