[mythtv-users] Choppy MythMusic with usb Extigy

John Kondis jkondis at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 7 09:44:35 UTC 2005

I am using 0.17 with a combined frontend/backend
utilizing a PVR-350.  Platform is SuSE 9.2 on a 566
Celeron.  All the myth stuff is compiled from source.
I've attached a Creative Extigy usb audio device that
uses /dev/dsp.  I am loading snd-usb-audio on boot.

My problem is I get very choppy audio when I play
anything with MythMusic.  It's like the music gets
chopped into 0.1 second chunks and chunks fo silence
around 0.1 seconds long are inserted into the sound
chunks, so that it also plays at around 1/2 the speed
that it should be and is chopped up.  This happens
whether I play directly from CD or from ripped mp3's.

What could be the problem?  I'm certain I have enough
CPU horsepower and USB bandwidth to play the music.
I've ssh'ed into the machine and run mp3blaster and
the sound coming out of the extigy is fine, just not
with MythMusic.

A related question is this: can I get the TV audio to
play through the usb sound device?  I've set the audio
device to /dev/dsp in the MythTV setup, but live TV or
recordings never seem to play their audio to the
device - i.e. only through the TV out audio on the
350.  I've tried with and without the internal mixer
to no avail.