[mythtv-users] RE: mythtv-users Digest, Vol 26, Issue 42

Brad Templeton brad+myth at templetons.com
Mon Mar 7 07:26:30 UTC 2005

On Mon, Mar 07, 2005 at 12:05:53AM -0500, Jeff Wormsley wrote:
> Brad Templeton wrote:
>
> >(Though if you bought an HD ready monitor
> >instead of a TV you might not have it, though I thought even those
> >had PiP for their video inputs and the NTSC tuners they tend to contain?)
> >

> Depends.  Mine has PnP, but only if you are already using a tuner
> input.  With the component input, it is not available.  Live TV is best
> for sports, though, and PnP is especially nice for college football or
> baseball, where there is often more than one game on at the same time.
> I'm actually hoping to take advantage of the encode/decode delay this
> year, seeing as how the radio broadcast is often better than the TV
> commentators, and the radio has a longer delay that shifts the
> description of the action off of the video by a couple of seconds.  I
> think a judicious momentary pause should allow me to sync the radio
> sound to the TV video.  Far too esoteric an idea to build in, though!

It is a cute idea.  I would rather implement a "Toggle" feature that
toggles between two recordings (many remote controls have a button to
switch between the two most recent channels).   Then record both games
and watch near-live.

I find with sports you can easily watch a game in about 50% of the time,
skipping over the commercials and gaps between plays, or putting some
sections on timestretch.

Then you could watch two games at the same time in the time to watch
one.   When you get close to "live" in one game, you watch the other
for a while until you are "live" in it and vice versa.

Could not do the radio trick though.

I find the toggle concept to be quite useful in general.  For example,
often I am watching a show with somebody.   If she needs to go do
something I want to quickly switch to a program I watch but she doesn't.
Then, as soon as she gets back, switch back to what we were watching
together.  I mean I do this, using the menu keys, and it's not killer
hard, but with a single toggle key (which effectively means "go to the
last thing I was watching, be it recording or live TV channel") it
can be even more efficent.  One more to put on the list.