[mythtv-users] Should front end & backend releases match exactly?

Brad Templeton brad+myth at templetons.com
Mon Mar 7 00:07:07 UTC 2005

On Sun, Mar 06, 2005 at 07:02:41PM -0500, Byron Miller wrote:
> I'm interested in upgrading the backend via cvs - is there any issues
> with running a newer release on the backend?

If you are talking a .16 with a .17, you can't do it.  There is an
internal myth protocol, and it keeps changing and it is not backwards
compatible among releases.

If you are talking running different variants of the same
release from CVS on your systems, that usually works though I would not
always guarantee it.   Slight revisions in CVS keep adding new fields
to the database at random times, and while they are usually clean, I
would not say there is a guarantee the old frontend would understand
the data stored by the new backend 100% of the time.  But mostly it works.

However, 14 times so far an incompatible change has been introduced in
the basic protocol.   And people are talking about another one, perhaps
a complete redoing of the protocol.