[mythtv-users] Re: Avoid Suse for mythtv (database issues)

Greg greg.d at cwgsy.net
Sun Mar 6 23:18:12 UTC 2005

> * kedlm at charter.net <kedlm at charter.net> [2005-03-06 17:34]:
> > What known problems are there with Suse?
> > I use Suse 9.0 on my main backend and Suse 9.1 on my main frontend.
>
> I'm running Suse Pro 9.1.  After following the initial
> database setup guidelines, running mythtv results in database
> connection errors.  The error reads "Access denied for user:
> 'mythtv at mydomain.org'".  It should be trying to login as
> simply 'mythtv', not 'mythtv at mydomain.org'.

Shouldn't have trouble from the local machine. The bit after the @ is the
hostname/ip of the machine that your trying to connect from eg localhost.
Have you followed the steps at the bottom of:
http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-6.html

Cant say I've had this problem, not from the same machine anyway, I did have
this when I tried to connect from my windows box with mysqlcc, but it was
easily fixed.

> This could merely be a documentation defect.  There are
> distribution specific instructions for other distros, and
> nothing for Suse, when there probably needs to be some step
> to make usernames consistent accross the different scripts.
> For whatever reason it is not enough to set up the initial
> database and start mysql in Suse.
>
> Additionally, (and this may be part of the same problem), the
> X server is disabled for root after a clean Suse pro 9.1
> install, and only non-root users have a usable X server.
> This means root cannot run mythtv, when it is root that
> creates the database.  So potentially the user given access
> to the X server differs from the user with database access,
> which calls for some additional undocumented steps in getting
> everything configured.

Hmmm...cant remember whether I ever logged in as root when I had 9.1,
definitely havent with 9.2 so not sure about this one. Anyway there's no
need to log in as root just to run mythtv, it shouldn't matter who created
the db as long as mythtv user has access to it.

Greg