[mythtv-users] Re: Avoid Suse for mythtv (database issues)

Justin Gombos mindfuq at fairfieldi.com
Sun Mar 6 22:59:44 UTC 2005

* kedlm at charter.net <kedlm at charter.net> [2005-03-06 17:34]:
> What known problems are there with Suse?
> I use Suse 9.0 on my main backend and Suse 9.1 on my main frontend.

I'm running Suse Pro 9.1.  After following the initial database setup
guidelines, running mythtv results in database connection errors.  The
error reads "Access denied for user: 'mythtv at mydomain.org'".  It
should be trying to login as simply 'mythtv', not
'mythtv at mydomain.org'.

This could merely be a documentation defect.  There are distribution
specific instructions for other distros, and nothing for Suse, when
there probably needs to be some step to make usernames consistent
accross the different scripts.  For whatever reason it is not enough
to set up the initial database and start mysql in Suse.

Additionally, (and this may be part of the same problem), the X server
is disabled for root after a clean Suse pro 9.1 install, and only
non-root users have a usable X server.  This means root cannot run
mythtv, when it is root that creates the database.  So potentially the
user given access to the X server differs from the user with database
access, which calls for some additional undocumented steps in getting
everything configured.