[mythtv-users] Thinking of Switching from Cable to DirectTv

WJCarpenter bill-mythtv at carpenter.ORG
Sun Mar 6 21:40:26 UTC 2005

[[analog cable vs digital satellite]]

bt> It's never accidentally off.  (If your satelitte box gets an off
bt> code for some reason, or goes off in power glitch, you get no
bt> recording.)

In my TiVo setup, if the RCA DirecTV box is turned off, the TiVo
somehow turns it on via the serial link when it does a channel change.
Since TiVo always sends a channel change even if it's already on the
right channel, it seems immune from the problem you mention.  (Don't
get me started about using a Dish box with an IR blaster.  Grrr.)

If MythTV doesn't do the same thing, presumably it could be figured
out.

bt>     Not transcoding pre-compressed re-expanded video

This especially bugs me for sports events.  Seems like the
broadcasters started using (more?) compression on their uplinks a
couple years ago.  So, you've got the uplink compress/expand, the
satellite compress/expand, and the PVR compress/expand.  The lossiness
is pretty bad.  It's kind of annoying when you're watching a network
broadcast of a local event because it still uplinks back to their HQ.
The good news is that the commercials still have all their original
quality.  :-)