[mythtv-users] timestretch results in chipmunk sound

Jeff Simpson llcooljeff at gmail.com
Sun Mar 6 20:33:37 UTC 2005

I don't see how on earth that's possible.....

to stretch audio like that you have to cut time out instead of playing
it faster. And with slowing it down you have to extrapolate and add
extra time in to make it slower. To do that I'm pretty sure you'd need
to demux the mpeg and alter just the audio while playing the video at
an altered speed. I think the audio stays muxed right in when you use
the PVR-350 as input and output.

am I right in thinking that?

On Sun, 6 Mar 2005 14:52:41 -0500, Gabe Rubin <gaberubin at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 6 Mar 2005 13:46:32 -0600, Jeff Simpson <llcooljeff at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I'm not sure what everyone means by "chipmunks". If it's referring to
> > how all the voices sound higher in pitch, its normal - When you play
> > audio faster, it's going to sound like that due to the frequency
> > shift. Just like how when you play it at 0.5X it's going to sound like
> > it's being acted by James Earl Jones.
> >
> The timestretch feature of .17 is supposed to elimate the chipmunk
> sound and make it sound normal.  I am not sure how the developers
> accomplished, but it is brilliant when it works.  I have seen and
> heard it working on my FC1 system.  This is the one thing that has not
> worked properly after the upgrade to FC2, in other words, I have
> chipmunks.

email me if you want a gmail invite, I have some invites