[mythtv-users] movie trailer plugin!

Joseph Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Sun Mar 6 13:55:14 UTC 2005

Jeff Simpson wrote:
> I just thought of this idea and wanted to share it before I forgot it again.
>
> What if there were a way from within myth to look through the program
> guide, and on the information screen, download and watch the trailer
> from it if there is one found?  Or additionally, have a plugin that is
> in the media library that basically says "watch trailers" where it
> will list off all the movie trailers it finds on some website and if
> you select one it will download and watch it. (kinda like the
> video-on-demand trailers on comcast).
>
> It's just an idea, I don't have the time to implement it or anything,
> I just wanted to put it out there in case there was anyone thinking
> "what could make myth even better?"
>
> ps - I don't know if there is a particular website to list off movie
> trailers, but I'm sure one must exist. Whether or not they mind us
> scraping their page and downloading their trailers is a different
> story...

Apple might be a good place to try for trailers (www.apple.com/quicktime).

Personally, I think a more useful plugin would be movie time listings
from local theaters.  I know Apple's 'Sherlock' tool gets this
information (as well as the trailers) via a feed from one of their
partners (i.e., no scraping needed), but I haven't seen anyone try to
leech off of it yet... I'm sure it wouldn't make Apple happy.

-JAC