[mythtv-users] Commercial Skip

Cory Papenfuss papenfuss at juneau.me.vt.edu
Sun Mar 6 13:13:46 UTC 2005

> I wrote the commercial detection code in Myth and never even use Auto-Skip.
> The current flagging code works probably 95% or more of the time on the
> main shows my wife and I watch but I still don't use Auto-Skip.  The only
> Myth auto-skips is when I create a cutlist from the commercial flagging
> markers and make sure they're right.  Part of the reason is probably that
> I like to see when it goes wrong so I can try to think of why and fix it,
> and when it does get it right, I sometimes turn to my wife and say
> "Perfect Skip!"

 	I started out with "auto-skip" on, and I'll agree that it's
generally a rather large factor more irritating to try to undo a bad skip
than to just manually skip forward.  I have noticed some issues regarding
the fine-control of beginning/ending of a commercial block (when there are
very short commercial snippets).  In general, it works very well.... great
as a 90% correct start for manually adjusting cutpoints.  Now, if only
lossless MPEG2 cutting worked so "Cutting" wasn't synonymous with
"Transcode to MPEG4"... :)

-Cory