[mythtv-users] Dual HD-3000 and PVR 350

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Sun Mar 6 07:51:34 UTC 2005

On Mar 5, 2005, at 10:18 PM, Jeff Kryzer wrote:

>>> or will it also encode from another card in the box like the HD-3000?
>>> Will it encode for two HD-3000 cards?
>>
>> No. But assuming you're going to be capturing HDTV with those
>> HD-3000's,
>> there is no encoding to do. The broadcast is already mpeg2.
>
> So what purpose would the PVR-250/350 card even serve if my HD signal
> is
> already encoded, and my output is going to a video card?

To record programs that aren't broadcast in HD. While the HD-3000 can
tune both ATSC and NTSC, Myth only supports using one or the other (on
a per-card basis). There are some technical reasons for this, which you
can review in the mailing list archives. There has been some discussion
about how to implement this, but it isn't a very high-priority item, so
most of us with HD cards simply use an analog-only card for the analog
stuff.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com