[mythtv-users] What the hizzell is up with my audio?

Edward Rudd eddie at omegaware.com
Sun Mar 6 06:30:24 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-03-06 at 00:29, Caleb wrote:
> Okay, I've bought an ATI TV Wonder VE.  Love it.  Having serious audio
> troubles in Linux though.  I've tested the card with tvtime, xawtv,
> kdetv, and MythTV.  Video is great.  Audio...well here's a table
> showing my results  (I know I shouldn't hook it into "mic in" but it's
> the only way I've gotten it to work thus far):

> mythtv: If, in my mixer, I have "capture input" and "mic input" both
> enabled,
> it captures only a second or two of audio, and then repeatedly plays
> this segment louder and louder, accompanied by hissing and whining,
> until it gets really obnoxious and I have to kill the program by
> mashing ESCape.  If, in my mixer, I have "mic input" enabled but
> "capture input" muted, the audio is fine but is about two seconds
> ahead of the video.

What you are getting is feedback from the regular tV and what is being
recorded and played by mythtv mixing together, you need to have the "mic
input" muted but set to record, and the capture set to record and NOT
muted (which capture shouldn't have a mute).  One way to test your setup
is (assuming you are using Alsa) run xawtv, and run aplay /dev/dsp and
then start fiddling around with your mixer settings until you hear one
sound that is slightly delayed (what was recorded in from aplay and then
played back out to the sound card).  when you have the mic input enabled
and unmuted you are hearing what is coming in from the tuner live.
mythtv records everything and then decodes it back out (so it can do the
live buffer with rewind support).

> xawtv: Perfect, but for some reason sound continues after I end the
program.

This is because the software is not turning off the audio on the tv
capture card correctly.

> Can anybody tell me why I don't get audio by plugging the cable into
> "line in" and why all of the symptoms under "mic in" occur?  Thanks in
> advance for any help.  I'm really starting to get frustrated with
> this.

Lin-in not working maybe be because you didn't enable record on the
line-in?

Edward Rudd <eddie at omegaware.com>
Website http://www.outoforder.cc/