[mythtv-users] DV Recording via IEEE-1394 Firewire with MythTV

Rich Shumaker MythTV at RichShumaker.com
Sat Mar 5 21:27:41 UTC 2005

Man.  I seem to get spanked for this question everywhere.
So two places I post up this basic question considering Myth just got
IEEE-1394(firewire) support and in both places I get the same negative
response.
"MythTV isn't for DV. Go away.  Use something else."
Wasn't Myth originally designed as a convergence box.
Aren't home movies and camcorder dumping for family movies a thing a
"convergence" box would do?  Allowing you to create a DVD from your fun
filled adventures in wonderland.
I know how to dump to the MythTV system via SVid and RCA audio.  But
IEEE-1394 is a simple plug for both audio and video.  Also the quality
remains the same, digital to digital.  It would be cool to dump from
tape into Myth and let Myth do the rest.  Like transcode to Mpeg-2.
Allow you to create a DVD.  Watch your fun filled adventures on multiple
TV's around the house.

Oh and for people that like to experiment it would be cool to record
multiple video streams in DV onto a single server for a front end editor
to use.  Or for a front end viewer to look at.

I was going to ask if MythTV might include a video editor in the future.
  Besides basic truncation of the file.  I think I should not ask it
anymore considering how "well" this question was received.

So who wants to slap me next for asking a question that seems to make
sense in the modern age.  I think I will just go to the corner for a
while and think about the world.

So I can use MythTV to watch and record tv, listen to music, look at
images, make DVD's, play games, watch and listen to streaming video and
music, get news, check the weather, make phone calls, and play games BUT
don't think about viewing DV or possibly editing it cuz that would be
CRAZY talk.

Rich Shumaker