[mythtv-users] Commercial cutting & DVD burning

Cory Papenfuss papenfuss at juneau.me.vt.edu
Sat Mar 5 12:39:37 UTC 2005

On Sat, 5 Mar 2005, David wrote:

> It's a doddle to do if you have a PVR350
>
> I have about 60+ DVDs of Farscape, Stargate, Buffy, Films etc etc
> All have proper DVD menus, no commercials, proper printed covers
> All done 100% in linux
> Mostly by my non-linuxy wife (who now enjoys linux and gimp)
>
> Basically:
> * record using DVD profile on PVRx50
> * move the nuv file to your editing space
> * use avidemux (2.36, not 2.38) to index and cut out commercials (5 mins)
> * optionally use avidemux to save screenshots (press 'j') (1 min - 20 mins
> depending on fussiness)
> * save as mpeg (A+V) into show.VOB (5 mins)
> * use qdvdauthor to create menu (5 mins)
> * save as VIDEO_TS (10 mins)
> * burn to DVD (15 mins)
> * optionally use gimp to create cover (hours and hours if you get fancy!!)

 	I would like to say that somewhere between the first response and
this one is correct.  There is no "one true way" that works in all cases.
The above procedure will work 95% of the time if you're recording from
broadcast/cable.  The other 5% might have small glitches in the capture
...A/V sync change midstream in particular.  Avidemux does not deal with
that, so using it in the processing chain breaks sync in that 5% unless
you do some heroics (like wrapping the MPEG2 into an AVI with mencoder
before letting avidemux use it, rebuilding b-frames, etc... it's a PITA).
The 95/5% split is more like 70/30% if you're recording from a non-TBC's
source (like VHS or 8mm camcorder tapes).... that's when I ran into the
mess (while trying to archive old home movies on 8mm onto DVD).

 	In short, there are a few methods for doing what you want, but non
of them work completely correctly all the time and do not require
reencoding.

-Cory