[mythtv-users] Commercial cutting & DVD burning

David myth at dgreaves.com
Sat Mar 5 08:51:05 UTC 2005

It's a doddle to do if you have a PVR350

I have about 60+ DVDs of Farscape, Stargate, Buffy, Films etc etc
All have proper DVD menus, no commercials, proper printed covers
All done 100% in linux
Mostly by my non-linuxy wife (who now enjoys linux and gimp)

Basically:
* record using DVD profile on PVRx50
* move the nuv file to your editing space
* use avidemux (2.36, not 2.38) to index and cut out commercials (5 mins)
* optionally use avidemux to save screenshots (press 'j') (1 min - 20
mins depending on fussiness)
* save as mpeg (A+V) into show.VOB (5 mins)
* use qdvdauthor to create menu (5 mins)
* save as VIDEO_TS (10 mins)
* burn to DVD (15 mins)
* optionally use gimp to create cover (hours and hours if you get fancy!!)

David