[mythtv-users] Dual HDTV Tuner Requirements

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Sat Mar 5 06:44:51 UTC 2005

On Friday 04 March 2005 22:05, Jonathan M. Cooper wrote:
> I've been reading that HDTV decoding takes a substantial amount of
> processing power.

Note that this is only an issue at playback time. Recording is more or less a
simple matter of writing the incoming mpeg2 stream to disk, very little cpu
usage.

> I was wondering if anyone has gotten 2 or more HDTV
> tuner cards working with myth

2 HDTV tuner cards and a FireWire cable box here (and a few more analog
tuners).

> and, if so, what the CPU and memory
> requirements would be.

Not much difference from a system handling one HDTV tuner, though you may want
extra cpu headroom if all commercial cutting runs on the same box you're
viewing with. With recent HDTV playback performance improvements, I believe a
3GHz P4 w/512MB of RAM and a GeForce FX 5200 or a 6200 should be sufficient
for what you're after.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com