[mythtv-users] the ultimate setup

Jeff Wormsley daworm at comcast.net
Sat Mar 5 03:31:11 UTC 2005

Yan-Fa Li wrote:

>> Expensive, but I like my A-Tech 3000 case (black with silver
>> buttons/Powermate).
>>
>> http://www.atechfabrication.com/
>

> HOLY SCHNIKE!  $650 for just the case!!!!!!!  This is like the Ferrari
> Moderna of cases...  Beautiful work though.  I'm guessing you dropped
> about $1K on your case alone.  Do tell :D

If memory serves, I got the case, along with the VFD, Powermate, slot
load DVD and IRMan to go in it, for something like $900, maybe a bit
more.  Then add the motherboard, RAM, CPU, Radeon 9600Pro and 250G hard
drive, and I think the whole thing was under $1,800.  I've since ditched
the Radeon for an nVidia card (I was originally going to run a Windows
based system, then I got over that!) and added a firewire card.  I will
also need to ditch the 2.4Ghz processor in favor of a 3.0 or 3.2Ghz
model, as the 2.4 isn't quite up to decoding HD.  Oh, and add a AA
transcoder to that.  I paid over $2,000 for my first 10Mhz XT with 15Meg
of hard drive, in 1985 dollars, so I don't consider this too much to
spend.  The case sits in my cabinet with all my other gear, so it had to
look good, plus being solid aluminum rather than sheet steel means it
dampens sound wonderfully and dissipates heat very well.  I still need
to slow my case fans down a tad, as when I'm not watching anything I can
hear them, but I tend to watch TV at insane volumes, so it isn't that
much of a bother.