[mythtv-users] Removing AGP from kernel

Phill Edwards philledwards at gmail.com
Sat Mar 5 03:11:49 UTC 2005

I recently recompiled my kernel to take out AGPGART so that X would
use the nVidia AGP driver rather than the one built into the kernel
(NvAGP 1 in xorg.conf). Some past threads suggested this may reduce
CPU usage, but I was a bit disappointed to find no difference in CPU
usage or picture quality.

Does anyone have any opinions on the pros and cons of this?

(PS - for some reason when I was in menuconfig changing the kernel
setings, I found that I couldn't take out AGPGART altogether, I had to
have it as a module. I have checked, however, that it's the nVidia AGP
driver that gets loaded not AGPGART. Don't know whether this is of
significance or not).

Regards,
Phill