[mythtv-users] Re: Mythtv, nvidia and DVI mystery

Neil neil-on-mythtv at restricted.dyndns.org
Fri Mar 4 21:54:56 UTC 2005

Brad Templeton writes:

> On Fri, Mar 04, 2005 at 06:27:20AM -0600, Neil wrote:
>> Hey guys, I've done some testing regarding the mystery I'm experiencing
>> with mythtv, nvidia and DVI.
>>
>> Check it out at
>>
>> http://restricted.dyndns.org/mystery.html
>>
>> comments are greatly appreciated...........
>>

> So I guess what we're getting is that on the newer 6600 class cards,
> DVI at 1080i works without the interlace bug.  I think we heard that
> from somebody else.
>
> By "tearing" do you mean interlace artifacts?   The whole point of
> running at 1080i on a TV whose native resolution is 1280x720 is to
> get rid of those.  Perhaps overscan is doing you in?

It's totally different from interlace artifacts. Here is an example of how I
am understanding on what you meant by interlaced artifacts -
http://neuron2.net/LVG/inthead.jpg Please correct me if I am wrong.

If so, then, it's different. I only see mine in just 1 line but random Y
coordinates. It only happens on very fast moving objects. Here is an
example. Like in the program American Idol, I don't know if you have that
program. During a presentation of a performer, behind her is a large flat
screen with fast moving randmon graphics. That's the time I will see the
tearing however, the performer object doesn't get affected. In interlace,
everything get's affected. So, like what I read in the other thread,
Twinview configuration really affects playback performance. I watched the
same recorded program but using single head xorg.conf in my computer
monitor, and that tearing went away. That tearing though was also visible in
my computer monitor when I was using Twinview configuration.

Overscan? I guess, overscan only has something to do with picture being
larger than my hdtv. Fortunately, mythfrontend comes with X&Y offsets, size
that we can tweak. And with that, I am able to size my watching to almost
99% of my hdtv screen.