[mythtv-users] Autostart frontend ONLY on manual startup?

Darryl Wisneski - ski myth at skicentral.tv
Fri Mar 4 18:44:14 UTC 2005

mythtv-users at fastdruid.co.uk wrote:
> Lane wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
>>Right now I start up KDE, and then start myth frontend by
>>pressing the Power button on my remote, which lircd catches
>>and then uses to start Myth. I'm using the method described
>>in the Tips 'n' Tricks section of Jarod's guide.
>>
>>What I'd like is for the frontend to start, without me having
>>to press any buttons on the remote, iff I started the Myth
>>box manually. I know it seems a bit lazy, but it makes sense
>>to me that if I started the box manually, the frontend should start.

My nieces & nephews came over the house this past weekend & power cylced
my box multiple times (I was debating whether to remove the power header
from the motherboard that connects to my antec overture, but never got
around to it).  They kept pressing all the buttons.  Thankfully, I had
invested the time to get the autorestart working 100%.

I use KDE & implemented the /home/mythtv/.kde/Autostart/ ideology
effectively to automatically start mtd, mythbackend & mythfrontend at
system boot.  Read on...  I have a link to my myth docs/errata below
too.  I tried to use the system V startup scripts & the BSD startup
script /etc/rc.local in vain.  I run mythfrontend & mythbackend as user
mythtv.

I also improved on Jarod's guide's tips & tricks "Wife Button."

Hauppauge Grey Remote

POWER:	stop/start in one fell swoop mythfrontend & mythbackend using
remote control that is linked to a user executable script. (works so
nicely when the GO button doesn't always work.)

GO:	stop & separately start mythfrontend using remote control that is
linked to a user executable script

http://commwebworks.com/ski/mythtv.html#mythbackend_frontend_autostart

Regards,
-ski