[mythtv-users] How slow can we go, cpu wise? P2-333?

Cory Papenfuss papenfuss at juneau.me.vt.edu
Fri Mar 4 13:36:45 UTC 2005

> Hi,
> I just completed a project installing and successfully
> running MythTV on a P2-266 and it worked great.
>
> I am going to make a webpage documenting this install
> as it was a lot of fun.
>
> Low End MythTV
>
> http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3766
>
> Post replies there or send me emails if you want more
> info. I think that reusing old PCs for PVRs has a
> great future.

 	I would just like to say that my experience has been that when
sampling at low resolution, you want to do everything possible to maintain
the native number of lines (i.e. 480 for NTSC).  Recording at non-square
pixels is a non-issue for Xv-supported playback, but the quality is much
better.  It also more accurately represents a lack of bandwidth for low
quality modes.  In other words, from what I've seen, 320x240 looks worse
than 160x480.  Maybe it was 240x480... I don't remember exactly.

 	As another benchmark, I was fairly happy with a bttv-based dual
Celeron 300->450 FE/BE combo.  It would do 352x480 taking 95% of one cpu
to record, and about 80% of the other to play back.

-Cory