[mythtv-users] Dual HD-3000 and PVR 350

Jeff Kryzer yahoo at kryzer.com
Fri Mar 4 06:03:33 UTC 2005

I'm just discovering MythTV and am impressed.  What I've learned so far is
that it is advisable to use a encoder like the PVR 350 to free up your CPU.
My first question is, does the PVR 350 encode only if the signal is coming
in though itself, or will it also encode from another card in the box like
the HD-3000?  Will it encode for two HD-3000 cards?

I've read that the PVR 350 will also double its duty by serving as the video
out to your TV.  If I've recording HDTV, will the PVR 350 send out a
High-Def signal to my TV?  Or do I need another graphics card?

I've also read that for purposes of displaying HDTV you need a lot of CPU
power.  However, on Hauppauge's web site it says this about the PVR 350:
"WinTV-PVR-350 contains a highly integrated MPEG-1/2 hardware encoder and
hardware MPEG-1/2 decoder. "   Sooo does that mean if I want to display
High-Def recordings, and I also have a PVR 350, that I actually *don't* need
that much CPU?  (because the decoder is helping me out)

Thanks alot.  I'd be real interested in any success stories with the HD-3000
and PVR 350 cards together.
Jeff