[mythtv-users] Broadcast Flag Article mentions MythTV and quotes Issac

Maverick mavantix at gmail.com
Thu Mar 3 17:24:57 UTC 2005

> > Will MythTV obey the broadcast flag if it where to become law? Being
> > an open source project, seems like everyone would just remove that
> > section of code using "illegal" patches.
>
> You are missing the point of the problem.  Software like Myth will not
> even get access to the content to strip/remove/skip/ignore the flag.
> The knowledge (i.e. programming specs) needed to get the information
> from the HDTV capture card will not be available to a project like Myth
> for those very reasons.
>
> Sure, it could be reverse engineered for every device out there but
> that's a long hard road.

OK, so the software decoding driver on the pcHDTV would have to be
patched? Big deal. It really just sucks for closed source/hardware
things and just makes it a pain for the open sourcers. I really hope
there's no future for the broadcast flag, it's just the dumbest idea
ever.

able to retrieve your car from your garage when the state allows, thus
eliminating traffic congestion. As part of the bill, sharing vehicles
with friends will also become illegal."

> Is there we start the drive to put a firefox-like add in the NYT?
>
> I hate the flag, and I hate the greed it's come to represent.

I put my name on the Firefox ad, I'd do the same for a MythTV supported cause.

I agree with Brian, getting people to care is the real problem.

-Kenneth