[mythtv-users] Broadcast Flag Article mentions MythTV and quotes Issac

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Thu Mar 3 16:52:25 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-03-03 at 08:39 -0800, Geoff Scott wrote:

> Is there we start the drive to put a firefox-like add in the NYT?
>
> I hate the flag, and I hate the greed it's come to represent.

The problem with this issue and all like it (CSS for example just as the
article mentions) is that most people don't really care.  They don't
understand the issue to start with and even if they do, they still don't
understand why they should care.

In the case of CSS, why does the average consumer care?  They can buy
their DVD players (and they are damn cheap now) and their DVDs and play
them.  "What's the problem?"  That some future company cannot do
something revolutionary and cool with DVD technology does not affect
their day to day life.  They don't miss the future possibilities they
don't already have.

You have to break that barrier to get any mass movement on these kinds
of issues.

It's like what a friend of my girlfriend's said when I tried to get her
to use jabber (and spread the use to her "contacts") rather than MSN and
ICQ.  Even after I explained to her why using something open and
unencumbered is so important for future needs she still asked "but why
do I care?" and lamented about how ICQ did everything she cared about.

It's a hard battle.

b.