[mythtv-users] Bob and artifacts

Will Dormann wd at pobox.com
Thu Mar 3 15:07:38 UTC 2005

John Kuhn wrote:

> I'm a recent convert from the pvr-350 tv-out to a new nvidia 6200
> tv-out.  while i think the tv-out quality of nvidia is on par with the
> 350 the tv playback using it isnt.  By turning on Bob deinterlacing the
> picture is much more comparable to the 350.  my problem now is that when
> i fast forward or some times in the middle of watching a recording, I'll
> get artifacts (big blocks and skipping audio to match) is this a
> "normal" side effect from using bob? is there a way to reduce this?  I
> currently have audio buffering on and it doesnt seem to help that.

I think I read somewhere that enabling the option to seek to exact frame
(Under playback settings) might help with this?   It's worth a shot.

Just out of curiosity, how is the picture resolution look with your
system set to Bob?   I like the smoothness of motion, but there's a
distinct hit in the picture resolution for me.   (Which I believe is an
inherent problem with the Bob technique itself?)

-WD