[mythtv-users] parts list

Maverick mavantix at gmail.com
Thu Mar 3 06:37:28 UTC 2005

> I don't know how large of hard drives you can get, but a laptop hard
> drive is typically 5400 rpm, and quiet as a mouse, and almost no heat
> output. You can hook them up with a $2 adapter to a normal computer.

I checked into laptop hard drives, ref:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/107401?#107401

And basically found out 2.5" drives are uselessly expensive. I gave a
Samsung drive a try, based on a recommendation of silentpcreview.com
(I think). I got a the SP1614N 8MB and it's VERY quiet. In fact, it's
so quiet that I can now here the CPU fan over the HD, no whine or
noise normally associated with hard drives. It's hard to tell it's
spinning.

ATA133: http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=22-152-014&depa=1

SATA:
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=22-152-015&depa=1

As far as I'm concerned, if you're looking for quiet, this is the way
to go. Not available bigger than 160gb though :(

-Kenneth