[mythtv-users] MythTV on Xbox - praise

Brian Meehan bmeehan at rescueteam.com
Thu Mar 3 04:44:15 UTC 2005

A word of thanks to the maintainers of the Xbox distro for MythTV. A friend
of mine came over this past weekend and we converted his Windows MCE2005
system to a MythTV backend and his Xbox to a MythTV frontend. Of course, he
was concerned about the stuff on his Xbox already (boots to XBMC CVS
2/08/2005, and many saved games, modded w/ X3)

Well, we installed according to the instructions on bltblk and it was
beautiful. It pulled down MythTV v0.17 like a champ (looks like it's hosted
at RIT.. Yeah Rochester!). I missed a few settings on the backend (127.0.0.1
is not the server address to use!) and in MySQL (add permissions!). NFS
how-to was really easy as well. And we didn't loose a thing off his Xbox.

All in all, a very excellent experience. I've used Jarod's guide many times
to build frontend/backend combos for other folks here in Rochester, so this
time I helped this linux newbie walk through it himself while I configured
the Xbox.

Again, thanks to everyone who makes MythTV possible. The time you commit to
this project - coding, documentation, and simply answering questions on the
mailing list - really make MythTV the great project that it is.

-Brian

BTW: My wife thinks it's very odd that I refer to the people on this list
(at home, in conversations about Myth) on a first-name basis. "It sounds
like you're talking about people we met over dinner last week, and not some
person on the Internet."