[mythtv-users] mplayer options when xvideo fails

kedlm at charter.net kedlm at charter.net
Wed Mar 2 18:08:50 UTC 2005

> > As in boring old NTSC TV.  I cannot drive it at HD resolutions!  It is
> > not an HD TV.  Hence my need to scale.

Here are mplayer scripts I am currently using with excellent results.  I hope to eventually get Myth to work as well.

To play a widescreen show on my 4x3 display:
mplayer.2 -ao oss:/dev/dsp3 -vo x11 -zoom -xy 1024 -fs "$1" -framedrop

To play a digital 4x3 show sent in 16x9 format with black bars:
mplayer.2 -ao oss:/dev/dsp3 -vo x11 -zoom -xy 1024 -fs "$1" -framedrop -vf crop=960

Again, maybe this will be useful to someone else.

The reason it is mplayer.2 is that I hacked mplayer to always offset to 1280x0 and to use the size of the 2nd display so it shows "fullscreen" on the 2nd display (the TV); I couldn't figure out command line options to do it otherwise for some reason. (normally it shows fullscreen across both displays)

To recap for the curious, the problems with just using NO_XV as Myth supports are:
1) it is to slow
2) it scales badly
3) it doesn't allow changing aspects (basically 2 is 3)

Mplayer obviously has superior software scaling where no one in Myth currently cares since they all use XV. :-)
As I wish I could. :-(