[mythtv-users] MythTV review from a long-time TiVo user

Lane Schwartz dowobeha at gmail.com
Wed Mar 2 16:53:51 UTC 2005

On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 09:20:21 -0600 (CST), Bob Cottingham
<bob at bobnvic.com> wrote:
> Donavan Stanley said:
> > On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 14:07:19 -0500, Ben Giddings
> > <bg-mythtv at infofiend.com> wrote:
> >> Another minor thing I miss from my TiVo is the "screensaver".  If you
> >> didn't hit a button for a while on the TiVo it would by default go back
> >> to monitoring Live TV after a while.
> >
> > Myth will allow your existing screensaver to kick in as needed,
> > provided you have one of course.
>
> This doesn't appear to be entirely accurate to me. I believe that Myth
> only supports DPMS. If you turn on screensavers in KDE or use
> xscreensaver, the screensaver will kick in regardless of whether you are
> watching a show or not. I tried this again last night just to be sure and
> it started up 10 mintutes into our TV show.
>
> This is something I've wanted for quite some time, so if there is some
> other way to do this I would be very interested in hearing it.

I completely agree.

It would be very nice if Myth had its own screensaver, or just as
nice, if Myth could signal xscreensaver or the KDE screensaver to
disable itself whenever Myth is playing something.

The other thing that concerns me about just using the system
screensaver is, will the remote control wake up the screensaver. If I
used a screensaver, I'd hate to have to have a keyboard or mouse
sitting by the TV just to wake up the screensaver.

I understand the posters who save "Just turn off the TV." I do.
Unfortunately my wife sometimes has a tendency to leave the TV on
after she finishes watching a show. It'd be nice if Myth either
started its own screensaver at that point or told the system
screensaver to start up.

It's not a huge problem, but it would be nice to have this feature.

Cheers,
Lane

--
Meetup with other Myth users!