[mythtv-users] Removing Parts of Myth

Cory Papenfuss papenfuss at juneau.me.vt.edu
Wed Mar 2 11:19:16 UTC 2005

> Fedora Core 3 is plenty fast. Changing a distribution entirely does not a
> faster machine make. Disable all services you don't need, switch to a very
> lightweight window manager, etc., and the performance difference between FC3
> and any other distro is typically marginal at best.

 	That hasn't been my experience.  It seems that the Redhat/Fedoras
have been getting excruciatingly slow of late.  Even on a previously
useful machine (PII-450, 256MB) with everything off (including X), it runs
like molassas.  It's not just the kernel either, since I've rolled my own
vanilla kernel.  Maybe it's in the optimizations of how it's compiled for
newer machines.

 	Slap an old RH8-9 or recent ubuntu on it, and it rolls along
nicely.

-Cory