[mythtv-users] Looking for a mainboard

Bryce mythtv at menolly.net
Tue Mar 1 17:37:51 UTC 2005

On Tue, March 1, 2005 11:26 am, Joe Barnhart said:

> --- Bryce <mythtv at menolly.net> wrote:
>
>> I perfer to stick with AMD CPUs and
>> preferably an AMD64.
>
> If you do any searches at all on Gossamer, you will
> find that the Intel architecture is best suited for
> decoding HD video.  Like you, I am an AMD fan for most
> of my boxes, but I had to admit defeat and get an
> Intel P4 with hyperthreading for my HD KnoppMyth box.
> The situation may have eased somewhat with 0.17, but
> why build a system that's barely adequate to the task?

Really? I hadn't seen that. I'll have to do some more reading. (Like I
don't have enough to research about this crazy project already! <grin>). I
don't really have anything against Intel and usually spec my linux servers
with dual Xeons. I just hate to pay the premium on Intel cpus for personal
machines.

> Oh, and your disk drive is way too small.  HD eats up
> video at 8G/hour.  Your hard disk won't even hold a
> week of programs.

Oh I know, it's just a start. I figure I'll end up with 145-150GB of space
for video, at 8G/hour that gives me 18 hours of HD storage. I don't have
cable or anything so everything I grab will be "Network TV" and my wife
and I watch no where near 18 hours a week of TV. I'll build a nice
rackmounted backend in the basement sometime later.

Thanks,
--
Bryce T. Pier