[mythtv-users] Silent HDTV Front End

Donavan Stanley geckofiend at gmail.com
Thu Jun 30 20:54:08 UTC 2005

On 6/30/05, Robert S. Kerr <rskerr at dsbox.com> wrote:
> So there is a fan in there?  The pictures of the board I've seen don't show one.  Is it
> needed on the Mobo, or is it the case fan?  I've seen a couple of fanless ITX cases that
> use big aluminum fins to disipate the heat.  These would be really compelling if this board
> will work in them.  I just don't know anything about the VIA chips & boards and what
> they'll need to work well.

The 1ghz version has a CPU fan.  As for the fanless cases, those only
work with specific motherboards (i.e. not the commel).

> I've been really been looking hard to find a fanless or at least 1 small or lowspeed fan
> frontend solution because in my cabinet the fan noise echos off the sides of the cabinet
> and amplifies the noise.

With a Dc ot DC power supply, and one low speed case fan it'd be pretty quiet.

> >I've not gone beyond the proof of concept phase with this board, but
> >overall I'm pleased.  I've got a full Mythfrontend + all plugins in a
> >system that 1 moving part (the CPU fan).
>
> Have you had it doing full res HD and can it keep up as a front end only machine?

I watched a couple episodes of Boston Legal that I'd recorded a while
ago in high def on it.  Worked like a charm.  I also watched several
SD recordings without issue.  (Though the svm version of Myth has
issues which are documented in trak).

> I'm thinking about taking my existing noisy backend and putting an HD3000 in there for
> capture, and then using a system like this for a diskless, front end.

Heh you can use a compact flash card as an IDE drive and boot from it
using this board.