[mythtv-users] Silent HDTV Front End

Mudit Wahal mwahal at gmail.com
Thu Jun 30 18:47:31 UTC 2005

John,

Yes, I was thinking about some RF remote to change channels. But that
will add another clutter to numerous remotes already lying on the
table.

Also, changing channels is *quite expensive* in terms of time on HDTV.
Its not instantenous. The backend (DVB driver) takes time to tune and
then the ring buffer file starts to fill up slowly. Even on the
frontend/backend combo, channel surfing on HDTV is quite slow. The
backend + remote frontend combo channel surfing will add another layer
of  delay.

But yesterday I scored some valuable WAF points :-) The semifinals of
Dancing with stars on ABC was about to start at 9pm. Just 1 min before
start, she got a call from a friend. So, I casually turned on the LP2,
switched to liveTV mode and pressed the pause button :-)
I could have gone to the mythweb and start recording the show. But I
just want to score more points by using LP2 in live TV :-) She chatted
for 1/2 hour and the TV was paused for her :-) [Well, technically not
paused, as I was doing some forward/backward etc so that the  liveTV
mode doesnt time out, this is my live TV code issue and not
necessarily LP2 problem]

May be I'll start a blog somewhere and add the source code etc
required to make LP2 do these neat tricks :-)

Thanks
Mudit