[mythtv-users] Overwhelmed

Ken Mink kmmyth at gmail.com
Thu Jun 30 17:39:52 UTC 2005

On 6/30/05, Dan Littlejohn <dan.littlejohn at gmail.com> wrote:
> Another suggestion.  Something that worked for me was to pick a basic
> system configuration and begin to iterate to what I wanted.  If you
> have an old PC, 19" analog TV, or reciever, build a working system,
> and then start swapping things out as you understand how things work
> and what you would really like.(maybe just stereo and svideo TV
> working to start).  That way you can get something working without
> drowning in stuff like xorg DVI configuration, ALSA 5.1 configuration,
> etc, and focus on picking the equipment piece by piece.  Eat the
> elephant one spoon at a time.
>
> Dan

+1

This is a very good idea. I bought just the tuner card and added it to
my existing Linux desktop. I then just added MythTV to the system and
got it working. I then played with MythTV for a while; got comfortable
with it and figured out what it could and couldn't do. Then I built a
new system around the tuner I already had. It made the final system
build and installation go much easier.

Good luck,
Ken