[mythtv-users] Semi-OT: Help with modeline generation

Jack Perveiler perveilerj at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 29 15:14:52 UTC 2005

Disclaimer:  Yeah, this is slightly off-topic.  It SOUNDS on topic at first,
but my fix is decidedly unrelated to myth or X :)  But the HLRxx67W line is
bound to be popular with myth (it has exceptional vga-in capabilities), so I'm
posting my fix publicly rather than privately (I'll probably repost at AVS
forums, too).  That being said...

Hi, Nate.

I recently bought a Samsung HLR5667W... beautiful TV, huh?

I had a lot of problems initially getting rid of the overscanning.  The good
news for you is that I fixed it last week :)

The key is to put the TV into "Wide-PC" mode, which is an option for just about
every mode EXCEPT 1280x720.  The manual hints at this.. it says the mode is
available for "PC mode", but not "DTV mode" at that resolution.  What they
DON'T tell you is how to get into PC mode (and tech support didn't know,
either).

What I've found, however, is that "naming" the input under the "input" tab in
the tv menu actually makes the TV do different things (options are "AV
receiver, cable STB, GAME, PC, etc).  If you scroll all the way down and name
your PC input "PC", then the "Wide-PC" mode becomes available.  "Wide-PC"
shrinks the image to fit entirely within the display with no overscan, so you
don't need to worry about custom resolutions.

Well, at least it TRIES to shrink to fit the entire display.  You may have to
tweak the "course" setting of "signal lock" in the setup->pc menu to get it to
fit horizontally.  Not too difficult, though.

I've found this works pretty well and I get a fantastic image (I've never seen
The Incredibles look so good...).  The only downside is that you get about a
half inch of black border around all the edges of the image (I guess some
overscans are worse than others, so they built in a buffer zone), but I hardly
notice it.

Good luck!

--Jack