[mythtv-users] using the Buttons "Scan Channels(s)" and"Advanced" ?

David Watkins watkinshome at gmail.com
Wed Jun 29 15:04:41 UTC 2005

On 29/06/05, Graham Bishop <grim_b at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> No where near my mythtv box at the moment, but what I have been doing
> is seeing as the grab for schedules works, I have been using the
> command:
> # /usr/lib/ivtv/ptune-ui.pl &
> # mplayer -vo xv /dev/video0
> This has allowed me to see what is an active channel and the frequency
> it is on (its reported in the terminal when changing channel).  I then
> (With the use of a TV find the actual channel i.e BBC1 ) edit the
> channel settings in mythtvsetup and put the frequency code in the field
> on page 2 (i think, its the first field on the page anyways)
> This then allows me to see the schedule and channel within
> mythfrontend.
> I hope that is of help, but recently, ptune-ui.pl has given up the
> ghost, even though I can still watch TV with MythTV?
> Onwards and downwards.
> Graham.

Other methods of finding the frequencies (for the UK at least) are:

1. This website allows you to type in your postcode or grid reference
and show the frequencies for the analog terrestrial channels.

2. If you can boot the card under windows, then the software supplied
with the PVR250 allows for channel scanning.  AFAIK the mythtv channel
scanning is only for dvb cards - I could be wrong though.