[mythtv-users] DVB-S: Hauppauge nexus-s versus Twinhan/Skystar cards

Johan Reinalda johan at global.thunderbird.edu
Tue Jun 28 17:09:10 UTC 2005

All,

I am looking at replacing my external DVB-S/FTA receiver with a dvb-s card
in my myth box.

As there is roughly US$100 difference in cost between the high-end Nexus-s
with hardware mpg2, and the low-end Twinhan/Skystar cards, I would like to
know what the CPU load difference is between the 2 types.

I understand that the low-end cards will have to split PID on the
transponder in software, but considering the stream is already mgp2, I
wonder how much work/cpu-load this really is. Does anyone have any
comparisons for these two type on roughly equivalent hardware?

I am running myth on an AMD64/2800+, which during all my myth-usage stays in
the lowest cpu speed of 1GHZ; recording with PVR-150 uses about 2-3% cpu,
playback on FX5200 card uses roughly 18% cpu; this makes for a reasonably
quiet system, and I'd like to keep it that way. (I do transcoding and
compiling 'after hours' and then it runs at full speed and 'full noise'
:-) )

Any information would be appreciated.

TIA,

Johan