[mythtv-users] SOLVED: EPIA M boards hanging hard

Justin Mason jm at jmason.org
Mon Jun 27 20:03:49 UTC 2005

I think I may have posted about this here; anyway, it's useful info for
future googlers and other Myth users using EPIA ME-6000 hardware.

The problem was intermittent hangs with my EPIA ME-6000 + PVR-350
frontend/backend combo box; it appeared that it would happen occasionally
in the middle of the night, or if somebody started using the Myth UI after
it was idle for some time. The machine would hang solid, not even
responding to the magic SysRq key combos.

It turned out the problem was the use of powernowd and CPU frequency
scaling, which I'd been using to control temperature.  While the Eden
processor supports this, I suspect either some other part of the EPIA
board didn't, or the PVR-350 didn't like it. Either way, turning off
powernowd and use of CPU frequency scaling has resolved the problem, and
those hangs are a thing of the past.

- --j.
Version: GnuPG v1.2.5 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Exmh CVS